The Westin Dragonara Resort is committed to doing more to consume less, and caring for our planet. Our environmental policy addresses six areas of opportunity, and our initial focus is on energy & water with our commitment to reducing energy consumption by 30% and water consumption by 20% by the year 2020 (from a 2008 baseline).
These goals are just the beginning of an ongoing journey toward environmental sustainability; we also focus on guidance for minimizing and reducing waste and emissions, examining our supply chain and enhancing indoor and outdoor environmental quality. We take all of this on while maintaining the exceptional guest experiences we so proudly deliver.
It is also our committed aim to continue to work together and engage in project programs to continue to drive awareness about environmental issues.
The main ongoing achievements on environmental impacts and economic potential are:
- Training and continued awareness of management and associates for saving energy.
- Specific information on the more energy efficient techniques available.
- Priority to energy saving of operatives.
- Opportunities for individuals to obtain information on energy saving cost effectiveness and environmental preservation.
These factors particularly effected energy cost effectiveness within our resort.
The ECO certification is the national scheme for ensuring the environmental, socioeconomic, and cultural sustainability of hotels on the Maltese Islands and has been recognised by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council as fully reflecting the GSTC criteria.
Currently, the hotel has the following green practices in place:
Sustainable Meeting Practices
- All notepads, pens and mints will be placed on a separate table, encouraging participants to use only what is required and avoid wastage.
- Electronic sales tools: The entire contracting process will be done electronically. This will avoid printing and wasting of paper. Email and the usage of StarGroups will reduce the need to print or fax pages back and forth. Moreover e-menus shall be used which allows menus to be web-based rather than printed during the planning stages of an event.
- LCD energy efficient digital meeting signage.
- The selection of food products used within the preparation of menus are local.
Sustainable Green Guestrooms
- A Make a Green Choice Program has been implemented whereby guests have the option to use housekeeping on alternate days. This will assist our in our conservation efforts
- Low energy saving bulbs are used in all guestrooms.
- Intelligent Rooms Management system to reduce energy waste when guestrooms are not occupied.
- Waste separation bins are available in all meeting rooms and guest bedrooms and plastic items are recycled
Sustainable Practices and Initiatives
- The Westin Dragonara Resort also produces a very high percentage of the used water by means of two reverse osmosis plants.
- Guests have the option of checking the bills on their TV screens prior to having the bill printed at check-out
- Newspapers are provided complimentary in the lobby, reducing the impact when delivered to every guestroom.
- Double-sided printing is encouraged with all associates. Opportunities to save files and required reports digitally, instead of printing, are constantly identified and implemented.
- Our Concierge desk offers information about public transport around the hotel. A bus stop is situated very conveniently close to the resort, just 5 minutes away. From the airport you can take a direct bus to St Julian's, bus number X2, stopping at Ross Bus Stop. Public transport is a very convenient and affordable way of exploring the islands. More information about all routes can be obtained from our Concierge.
- A City Site-seeing hop-on hop-off bus tour starts and stops at the Resort’s door step, providing a convenient and green alternative to individual site-seeing excursions.
The Westin Dragonara Resort Malta is always interested in listening to new green suggestions from its guests. Have an idea? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org